|Title||The Relation between Polyphenols and Body Composition in US Hispanics/Latinos: Results from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL) Study of Latinos Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS).|
|Authors||Makarem N, Mossavar-Rahmani Y, Sotres-Alvarez D, Hua S, Wong WW, Van Horn L, Daviglus ML, Franke AA, Gellman MD, Kaplan RC, Beasley JM|
|Journal||Curr Dev Nutr|
|Date Published||2017 Nov|
Polyphenols offer high antioxidant potential that may protect against chronic diseases. Epidemiologic evidence documenting their influence on body composition and obesity risk is limited, particularly among Hispanics/Latinos who are disproportionately prone to obesity. The aims of this study were to evaluate cross-sectional associations of urinary polyphenols with body mass index (BMI) and body fat percentage (%BF) in a diverse Hispanic/Latino population and to assess the reliability of polyphenol measurements. Participants were 442 adults from the Study of Latinos/Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS) aged 18-74 y. Doubly labeled water was used as an objective recovery biomarker of energy. Polyphenol excretion from 24-h urine samples was assessed. Measures were repeated in a subsample ( = 90) to provide a reliability measure. Anthropometric measures were obtained by trained personnel, and %BF was measured by O dilution. Linear regression models were used to evaluate multivariable associations between body composition and polyphenols. Spearman correlation coefficients between BMI and %BF with polyphenols and intraclass correlation coefficients (ICCs) between polyphenol measures were computed. A weak correlation was observed for resveratrol and %BF ( = -0.11, = 0.02). In multivariable-adjusted regression models, weak inverse associations were observed for resveratrol and urolithin A with %BF [β ± SE: -0.010 ± 0.004 ( = 0.007) and -0.004 ± 0.002 ( = 0.03), respectively]. For every 50% increase in these urinary polyphenols, there was a 1% and 0.4% decrease in %BF. Urolithin A was inversely associated with BMI (β ± SE: -0.004 ± 0.002; = 0.02) and with 5% lower odds of obesity in models not adjusted for total energy expenditure (TEE; OR: 0.95; 95% CI: 0.91, 0.99; = 0.02). For every 50% increase in urolithin A, there was a 0.4-unit decrease in BMI. Associations were attenuated after adjustment for TEE. Reliability study findings were indicative of weak to moderate correlations (ICCs: 0.11-0.65), representing a degree of within-person variation in polyphenol biomarkers. Although associations were weak, resveratrol and urolithin A were inversely associated with obesity. Repeated polyphenol urine measures could clarify their long-term impact on body adiposity.
|Alternate Journal||Curr Dev Nutr|
|PubMed Central ID||PMC5998790|
|Grant List||N01HC65236 / HL / NHLBI NIH HHS / United States |
N01HC65235 / HL / NHLBI NIH HHS / United States
N01HC65234 / HL / NHLBI NIH HHS / United States
N01HC65233 / HL / NHLBI NIH HHS / United States
N01HC65237 / HL / NHLBI NIH HHS / United States
R01 HL095856 / HL / NHLBI NIH HHS / United States
The Relation between Polyphenols and Body Composition in US Hispanics/Latinos: Results from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL) Study of Latinos Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Study (SOLNAS).